Friday, January 13, 2012

Sheltered Protection

Before I really get where I am going, let me make a few things clear: I have no interest in sheltering my children. I believe communication is the key in jumping the hurdles of negative exposure the world is constantly advertising. It's not my desire for my kids to hear about or learn about sex, profanity, war, homosexuality, abuse, drunkenness or like behaviors at an early age but I do desire that they learn about all of these things from me. Why? Because with me they will always get the truth whereas with an uneducated classmate they could possibly get manipulated in believing untrue and unbiblical principles pertaining to these topics.

In saying all of this, I have to confess the world makes me nervous. I have nothing against teachers, my gosh they try the best they can, but the things I see on the news pertaining to the public school system scare me! It is NOT the same world I knew at 6 and 10 and even 14 or 15.

However, I don't believe that it's wise to shelter our children. When we shelter our children our efforts are fear based as opposed to faith based. We are hiding the truth as opposed to sharing and learning the truth TOGETHER. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that my four year old is ready to hear about the consequences of a one night stand or what it means for a child to be raped but I do believe every God fearing parent can be spirit led into giving age appropriate explanations that will cease curious searching for answers to very important questions. When our curiosity goes searching any answer will do.

I believe my responsibility as a mother is to provide protection against the untruths that exist. When we provide protection we are operating in faith that the word of God and spirit we are led by will not lead us or our children astray.

After hearing a recent news report about "scream rooms" in public schools I found myself fearful. What my kids will see, hear, and witness remains a mystery now but one day it will be reality. I also just read reports of billboards young children are being exposed to that give confusing messages pertaining to God and how he operates. The truth is you can't hide the big bad world that's out there. It's lurking, waiting and one day it will be exposed for her raw and perverse and untrue self.

I guess this post is more about empowerment to any reading mother. There isn't an untruth or immoral existing thing occurring in this world God doesn't know about. And there isn't a person who knows the love we have for our children better than He. Don't be fearful of exposure and certainly don't hide the truth to these issues. Use them as a way to expose your children to the truth and a closer relationship with you.

Let your faith be strengthened and your fear be eliminated! Choose protection!

No comments: